In newer Windows versions, Microsoft added OneDrive to its "out-of-the-box experience," which means you'll get the app on your system from day one. OneDrive is a great tool for storing your files in the cloud, but some users have a favorite cloud storage app or want to store everything locally.
If you don't think OneDrive is useful to you, you can disable the app.Next, we'll discuss ways to disable the app on your system.Additionally, you'll learn multiple ways to remove it completely.
Why should you deactivate OneDrive?
You probably don't want to keep cloud backups of sensitive files related to work or personal use.Another problem is that OneDrive runs when you start the system.It continues to run in the background, consuming system and network resources in the process.
If you have a low-spec system or a metered network connection, you'll have this problem.So in these cases it would be a good idea to disable or remove the app from your system.
Does OneDrive affect PC performance?
OneDrive starts as soon as your system boots.It tries to sync your files to the cloud and runs in the background.Systems with minimal computing resources may struggle with performance.
So if your PC isn't the fastest, disabling OneDrive or getting rid of it entirely can help squeeze some precious processing power out of your system for other tasks.
How to Disable OneDrive on Windows 11
There are various ways to disable OneDrive on your system.You can disable the service from running at startup, disable it via the Group Policy Editor, or you can unlink your account from it.
1. How to stop OneDrive from launching on startup
To prevent OneDrive from starting at startup, follow these steps:
1. Go to the system tray icon area and click the arrow icon.Then click the OneDrive system tray icon to display the settings.
2. Tap the gear icon and select Settings from the context menu.
3. Switch to the "Settings" tab.Uncheck the "Automatically start OneDrive when I log in to Windows" option under the "General" section.
4. Close the window.Now, OneDrive will not start automatically when you start your computer.
2. How to unlink your OneDrive account
If you unlink your OneDrive account, the app will no longer be able to sync your files.To unlink an account, repeat the following steps:
1. Open the OneDrive application from the system tray icon.Click the gear icon, then click the Settings option.
2. Find the "Unlink this PC" option under the "Account" tab.
3. Follow the on-screen prompts to unlink your account and close the window.
3. How to deactivate OneDrive using Group Policy Editor
Windows users with Enterprise or Professional editions can use the Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive.
1. Press Win + R to launch the Run command box on your system.Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
2. The Group Policy Editor will launch.
3. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive.
4. Once you are in the OneDrive folder, find the file storage policy that prevents the use of OneDrive.
5. Double-click it to edit the policy.A new window will pop up with detailed settings.
6. Click the Disabled radio button, and then click the Apply button.
7. Click the "OK" button to exit the Group Policy Editor.
How to remove OneDrive from Windows 11
If you want to get rid of the app completely, here are a few ways to remove OneDrive from your PC.
1. How to uninstall OneDrive using the Settings app
To remove OneDrive using the Settings app, follow these steps:
1. Press Win + I to launch the Settings app.Then navigate to the menu on the left and click Apps.
2. Then click on the "Installed Apps" option in the "Apps" section.
3. Scroll down and find the Microsoft OneDrive app in the list.
4. Click the three dots and select the "Uninstall" option.
5. Confirm your action and click the Uninstall button again.
6. Now, follow the on-screen prompts to remove the application from your system.
2. How to uninstall OneDrive using Command Prompt
To remove OneDrive using Command Prompt, follow these steps:
1. Press the Win key and search for Command Prompt.Right-click on the first result and select the option to run as administrator.
2. The command prompt will start.Now, enter the following command in the terminal. TASKKILL /f /im OneDrive.exe
3. Once the command completes, enter the uninstall command. %systemroot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
4. Wait for the execution to complete. CMD doesn't show any information about the uninstall command.
5. Exit the Command Prompt window. OneDrive won't bother you anymore.
3. How to uninstall OneDrive using PowerShell
To delete OneDrive using PowerShell, follow these steps:
1. Press the Win key and search for PowerShell.Right-click on the first search result and click the Run as administrator option.
2. PowerShell will start.Now enter the following command: winget uninstall onedrive
3. Press Enter to execute the command.If the command executes without any errors, you will see a successful uninstallation message.
4. Now, exit the PowerShell window.
OneDrive won't bother you anymore
These are the steps to disable or remove OneDrive on your Windows machine.If you plan to use OneDrive again someday, you might consider disabling it first.But if you want to remove it from your system, you can try any of the uninstall methods mentioned above.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!