Windows 11 can take a little getting used to, as it has a redesigned interface that makes everything easier.A new modern look improves accessibility, ushering in a new era for the world's most popular operating system.
The user interface has changed quite a bit, and routine tasks you might have gotten used to in Windows 10 or earlier may have changed in Windows 11.Read on as we go into details on how to add icons to the desktop in Windows 11.
How to Add Icons to the Desktop in Windows 11
There are a few different ways to add new icons to the Windows 11 desktop: through the Start menu or the taskbar.
How to Add Apps to the Desktop in Windows 11 via the Start Menu
To add an icon via the start menu:
1. Launch the Start menu by clicking the Windows icon on the taskbar or pressing the Windows key from the keyboard.
2. Enter the name of the program you want to add to the Windows 11 desktop.
3. Right-click on the best match and click Open File Location; a new file manager window should pop up.
4. Now, select the program icon and right-click to bring up the context menu.
5. Click "Show more options" to expand the right-click context menu.You should now see a menu similar to the one in Windows 10.
6. Now click on Send to and finally on Desktop (create shortcut).
7. The program icon will now be visible on your Windows 11 desktop.
You can repeat the above steps for any program, such as Google Chrome, Skype, Microsoft Word, etc.It can also work with system programs such as Control Panel and Windows Terminal.
How to Add Icons to the Windows 11 Desktop via the Taskbar
Another way to add new desktop icons in Windows 11 is as follows:
1. Click the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar to launch the Windows Search popup.
2. Type the name of the program you want to add to the desktop in the search bar.
3. Right-click Best Bets, and then click Open File Location.
4. In the file explorer window that opens, select the program icon from the available list.
5. Now you can drag and drop the icon to the desktop, or right-click the program file and click the clipboard icon to copy the file (you can also use Ctrl + C to copy).
6. Once you have copied the file, click on an empty part of the desktop and press Ctrl + V on your keyboard.
7. Now you have successfully added a new icon to your desktop.
When installing a new program, you can also tick the Add shortcut to desktop option from the installation wizard to add the new program directly to the desktop.
How to make desktop icons visible in Windows 11
If you don't see any icons on your desktop and want to display a different available desktop icon, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on an empty space on the desktop and a context menu will pop up.
2. Hover over View and click the Show desktop icon.
If you previously hidden the icons on the desktop, they should now be visible.
How to Hide Desktop Icons in Windows 11
If you want a clean desktop without cluttered desktop icons, you may want to hide all desktop icons.
Here's how to hide or disappear all desktop icons in Windows 11:
1. Right-click on an empty corner of the desktop and a context menu will pop up.
2. Hover over or click View and uncheck the Show desktop icons option from the pop-up menu.
3. All your desktop icons are now hidden and you can enjoy a clean desktop.
Manage Desktop Icons in Windows 11
Adding new icons to the Windows 11 desktop is easy and straightforward.Microsoft's new operating system is designed for comfort and ease, which is great for the new and improved Windows Settings app.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!