At times, you may wonder how much free space is left on your Mac's internal drive.For example, if you have a huge file to download, or a few movies and videos to transfer to your Mac, it's helpful to have an idea of the available space.
This handy tutorial will show you five easy ways to check the free space on your Mac.You can also use these methods to find out the free space of external drives connected to your Mac.
1. Open the About This Mac window
This is the easiest way to check free space on your Mac:
1. Click the Apple icon () in the upper left corner of the screen and select About This Mac.
2. Go to Storage.
3. It will display the total amount of free space available on the Mac's internal drive or other currently connected drives.
2. Check system information
System Information is another built-in tool that makes it incredibly easy to get the storage details of your Mac's hard drive, SSD, or any other connected drive.The operation method is as follows:
1. While holding down the Option key, click the Apple icon () in the upper left corner of the screen.
2. Click System Information.
3. Expand the Hardware section.
4. Click Storage to view the drive's capacity, free space, and other relevant information.
3. Use Get Info in Finder
To make it work, make sure you've selected Show your Mac's drives in the Finder sidebar.If not, open the Finder and click Finder>Preferences from the menu bar.Next, click on the sidebar and make sure your Mac's name is selected under "Locations"
Once done, follow the steps below to view storage-related information:
1. Click the name of your Mac computer under Places in the Finder sidebar.
2. Control-click the master volume, and then click Get Info.
3. Expand General to view the total and available capacity.
You can follow the same steps to see the free space of any other connected USB drives, hard drives, SSDs, etc.
4. Use Quick Look on the Desktop
You can use Quick Look in the Finder or on the desktop.But to do this, first make sure you're in the Finder, then click Finder > Preferences from the top menu bar.Next, enable the hard drive from the "Show these items on the desktop" section of the "General" tab.It will now start showing the Mac's internal drive icon on the desktop.
Once the internal drive icon appears on the Mac's desktop, click to select it and press the spacebar.This will show you the total storage size and what's still available in the Quick Look popup.
5. Run a terminal command
If you are proficient with Terminal, you can use a command to find out how much free space is available on your Mac.First, open Terminal on your Mac.After that, type or copy and paste the following command and hit enter.
It will show you the size of your various Mac volumes.In most cases, the /System/Volumes/Data number will represent how much space is used and unused on your primary volume.
Alternatively, you can copy the file path from Terminal (/System/Volumes/Data), go to Finder, press Cmd+Shift+G, paste the copied folder location, and press Enter to see the volume showing the drive data.
Easily Check Your Mac's Free Space
No matter which of the above methods you use, you can easily see the free space on your Mac, which will be more beneficial for you to do the next work on your Mac.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!