Compress image filesis a great way to save storage space on Windows 11.
Large image files can waste gigabytes of drive storage space on your computer.For this reason, it's a good idea to delete excess image files or compress the ones you want to keep.
In Windows 11, there are quite a few different ways to compress images.Next, we will briefly introduce a few of them to you:
1. How to compress pictures with online compression tools
Optimizilla is an online image compression tool that you can use to compress GIF, JPG and PNG files.The method of use is as follows:
1. Open in a web browser Optimizilla Compression tool.
2. Click the Upload File button.
3. You can select up to 20 image files to compress at one time. After selecting, click the Open button.
4. Next, drag the slider of the Quality bar down or up to configure compression.Choosing a lower quality setting will increase the amount of file compression.
5. Click the Apply button to compress the image.
6. When finished, select the Download All button.
2. How to compress an image by reducing the size in MS Paint
If you don't want to affect the quality of the image, reducing the size of the image is a good alternative to using a compression tool.Smaller pictures have smaller file sizes. Windows 11's Paint app includes enough options for reducing the width and height of a picture, you can use it to resize the picture, here's how:
1. Open the Start menu and click in its search box.
2. Type Paint to find the application.
3. Select Paint to open its window.
4. Click the File menu and select the Open option.
5. Select an image to resize and press the Open button.
6. Click Image Options and select Resize.
7. Select the Percent radio button.
8. Enter percentage numbers in the horizontal and vertical boxes to reduce the image size.
9. Press the OK button to exit the Resize and Tilt window.
10. Click File and Save.
3. How to compress an image by cropping it in MS Paint
Paint also has a crop tool that you can use to remove the outer edges of your pictures.Since cropping can remove part of the content of the image, it can effectively reduce the overall data size of the file.
1. Open Paint and edit a picture in it according to the first five steps of the previous compression method.
2. Click the Paint image button.
3. Then click the "Select" option.
4. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the highlight over the area of the photo you want to keep in the picture.
5. Select the "Image" option again.
6. Click the "Crop" option to delete the part outside the area you selected.
7. Save the image by selecting this option on the File menu.
4. How to Compress Images Using ZIP Archives
ZIP is a compressed archive format that can contain multiple files.Compressing selected images will reduce their overall file size.Some users compress images in ZIP archives to reduce the combined file size of email attachments. Windows 11 includes a ZIP option that you can useCompress image files,Methods as below:
1. Open the window of the file manager.
2. Bring up a folder containing some pictures and make a ZIP archive.
3. Hold down the Ctrl key and select multiple images to include in the ZIP archive.
4. Right-click on one of the selected pictures and select Show more options.
5. Then select Send to in the context menu.
6. Select the Compressed (zipped) folder option in the submenu.
7. Enter a title for the ZIP file and press Enter.
Double-click your new ZIP archive to open it like a folder.You will see all the compressed pictures in the archive.The Compressed Size column shows the compressed file size of each image in the archive.
If you want to extract the ZIP file, click the Extract All option in Explorer.You can then select the path to the extraction folder in the window that opens by selecting Browse.Click Extract to extract the archive in the selected folder location.
5. How to compress an image by converting it to JPG format
JPG is the preferred compression format for website images because of its smaller average file size.Images in JPG format are usually much smaller in data than TIFF, PNG, and BMP files.If you have many TIFF and BMP images on your computer, converting them to JPG will free up some storage space.You can complete image conversion with Paint as follows:
1. Start the Paint application.
2. Click File > Open Options.
3. Select a TIFF or BMP image and select the Open option.
4. Then select File > Save As.
5. Click the JPEG picture option.
6. Type a name in the File name box.
7. Select the "Save" option.
6. How to compress pictures with compression software
There are plenty of free Windows image compression software to choose from. RIOT (Radical Image Optimizer) is an easy-to-use and efficient free compression tool for JPEG, PNG and GIF formats.Here's how to compress photos with RIOT:
2. Click the Download button and select the Riot x64 Application Installer link.
3. Press the Windows + E keyboard keys at the same time, and open the folder downloaded by the RIOT installation wizard.
4. Double-click the RIOT installation file.
5. Select the I agree and install option in the RIOT installation window.
6. After installing the software, click the Start button and all applications.Select RIOT on the start menu to open the image compression tool.
7. Press the ON button in the RIOT.
8. Select the images you want to compress and click Open Options.
9. Select the JPEG tab of the RIOT.
10. Drag the slider of the quality bar left or right to increase or decrease compression.The optimized image on the right tells you the size of the compressed output file.
11. Click Save when finished.
12. Enter a file name in the text box, select a folder for the output image, and click Save.
13. You can then open the compressed image file from the folder where you saved it.
Save hard disk space by compressing images
You can free up some hard drive storage space by compressing your photos using any of the above methods.Note, however, that if you go through RIOT and Optimizilla compression tools, you may have to make some compromises in picture quality.So, you can choose the method that best suits you from the above list according to your own situation.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!