MKV is a multimedia container format that typically stores multiple audio and subtitle tracks.However, since it is not as popular as other video file formats such as MOV and MP4, playing MKV files on a Windows computer can be difficult.
If your device does not support MKV format, you can convert it to MP4.This is a common multimedia format supported by almost all devices.Here, we will show you the best online and offline tools to convert MKV to MP4 in Windows.
1. Use XMedia Recode Convert MKV to MP4
XMedia Recode is a powerful media converter application for Windows.This gadget is free to use and supports conversion of all major audio and video formats.Although powerful, XMedia Recode's hardware requirements for encoding media files are very basic.
The process of converting media files using this program is very simple.Drag and drop to load the video, select the output format, click encode, and you will see the MKV file converted to MP4 file instantly.
For advanced users, XMedia Recode offers numerous customization options for audio and video formats.It also supports subtitles, chapter editor and preset filters.
Use XMedia Recode to convert MKV files to MP4:
1. Go to Xmedia Recode page, download the latest version of the application to your computer.Once the download is complete, run the installer and complete the installation.
2. Start XMedia Recode.
3. Drag and drop media files onto the application interface to load.Once loading is complete, select the media file to view conversion options.
4. In the "Format" tab, set "Profile" to "Custom" and set the format to MP4.
5. Next, select Video and Audio in the Output Stream Type section.
6. Next, click Browse and select the output destination to save the video after conversion.For advanced customization, browse the Video, Audio, Subtitles, Filters/Previews, and Chapter Editor tabs.
7. Click the big plus sign (+) Add to Queue icon on the toolbar to count conversion tasks and add them to the queue.
8. Next, open the Queue tab and select the conversion task.
9. Click Encoding in the toolbar to start media file conversion.
The process of converting MKV to MP4 may take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes or hours.This depends on video size, additional customization, and computer hardware capabilities.After the conversion is completed, click "OK".
Download: XMedia Recode (free)
CloudConvert It is a multi-format online video converter.It offers both free and premium options to quickly convert MKV videos to MP4.You can upload videos from local drives and cloud storage accounts such as Google Drive, DropBox, and URLs.
You can use the free option and perform up to 25 conversions per day.If you need more, you can order a conversion minute package with no limit on file size and 5 hours of processing per file.
Here's how to use it CloudConvert :
1. Enter CloudConvert website, click "Select File".
2. Now, select the file to upload.
3. After selecting the file, click the "Convert to" drop-down menu and select MP4 from the list.
4. Click the wrench icon (Settings) to customize the output settings.Here you can change video resolution, aspect ratio, video codec, profiles, presets, and more.
5. Click the Convert button to start the conversion process.
6. CloudConvert will upload the selected video first.Depending on file size and internet speed, this may take some time.
7. After the video is processed, you will see the video in the preview dialog box.Click the download button to save the video to your local hard drive.
To delete a video from the CloudConvert servers, click the small red "X" icon next to the video title.All your videos will be permanently deleted within 24 hours.
CloudConvert's ease of use and 25 free conversions per day make it the ideal tool for occasionally converting videos.However, if you're worried about privacy issues, consider using an offline converter to save the videos on your local hard drive.
3. Use OBS to convert MKV to MP4
OBS also has a little-known feature, which is a built-in MKV to MP4 converter. OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a free and open source multi-platform tool mainly used for video streaming and game recording.
As you can see, OBS is not a traditional video converter.However, since it saves games and screen recordings in MKV format, the developers included the Remux Recordings feature to facilitate quick conversion of MKV to MP4.Let’s take a look at how to use it to convert Matroska video files to MP4:
1. Download and install OBS.
2. After the installation is complete, start OBS.
3. Click File and select Remux Recordings.
4. In the Remux Recordings dialog box, drag and drop the MKV file under OBS Recordings.It supports batch conversion, so you can add multiple files as you like.
5. In the "Destination File" section, you will see the default save location.By default, OBS sets the source folder as the target folder.Click the three-dot (...) button to change the destination folder.
6. Click Remux to continue. OBS will start converting the video.This may take some time to complete, depending on the size of the video.
7. When finished, click OK.
Although OBS can quickly convert MKV files to MP4 format, it does not provide any customization options.If you need more customization options, XMedia Recode and HandBrake are your best choices.
Download: Viewer discretion (free)
4. Use VLC Media Player to convert MKV to MP4
VLC is a free and open source multimedia player that supports almost all audio and video formats including MKV.If you already have VLC installed, there is no need to convert and play videos.
However, if you still need to convert MKV videos, you can use the conversion function in VLC to do the conversion.To convert MKV files to MP4 using VLC media player, do the following:
1. Open the VLC Media Player application on your computer.
2. In the VLC main window, click on Media and select Convert/Save.Or press Ctrl + R keys to enter Convert/Save.
3. Next, click the Add button.Navigate and select the MKV video you want to convert.
4. After selecting the video, click Convert/Save.
5. In the "Convert" dialog box, click the "Profile" drop-down menu and select Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4).
6. Next, click the "Browse" button and select the file destination.You may need to enter a new name for the file to prevent VLC media player from overwriting the original MKV file in the same destination.
7. When finished, click Start.
The timeline of VLC media player will show the conversion progress.After the conversion is completed, it will save the video to the destination folder.
Although VLC provides convenient video conversion capabilities, its conversion speed can be very slow and even produce incomplete output, with no audio or video quality affected.
Download: VLC Media Player (free)
HandBrake is a free and open source video converter that supports almost all media formats.It is a multi-platform application available for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.
HandBrake is one of the simplest video converters.When converting at will, you just drag and drop your video onto the app and it automatically applies the most common container settings.Then, you can select the destination folder and start encoding and converting the video.
If you need more advanced options, HandBrake has you covered too.You can change subtitles, add chapter markers, perform batch scans, use video filters, and more.
Here's how to use HandBrake to convert MKV to MP4:
Access HandBrake pageand download the installer.Run the setup file and install the application.
2. Next, go to Microsoft DotNET Downloadpage and download the .NET 6.0 SDK x64.Without this, HandBrake may not start or run.
3. Next, open HandBrake.
4. Click "File to" and select the MKV file you want to convert.You can also drag and drop files onto the app to open them.
5. In the Summary tab, make sure the format is set to MP4.Here we are using the default MP4 container settings applied by the application.
6. Next, click the "Browse" button and select a location to save the new file.
7. If necessary, you can rename the file and click "Save".
8. In HandBrake's main window, click Start Coding. HandBrake will start encoding the video, please wait patiently for the processing to complete.Processing time depends on file size and system capabilities.
The only drawback to using HandBrake is downloading an additional set of .NET tools from Microsoft.In addition to this, it is an excellent open source video converter tool that can meet the needs of both ordinary users and advanced users.You can also use it to compress and reduce the size of video files without losing quality.
Easily convert MKV to MP4 in Windows
Converting MKV files to MP4 allows you to share and play videos on any video-compatible device.While there may not be any difference in output size, there will be no loss in quality either.
If you want to convert quickly, you can use VLC media player.If you want something feature-rich, HandBrake offers tons of customization options and is completely free.Additionally, there are many online video converters that allow you to convert anywhere and on any device, but there are some limitations.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!