There may be many reasons for wanting to rename photos and videos on iPhone.You might want to give your cherished moments a more meaningful name instead of the obscure names that are automatically assigned, or you might want to make your photos and videos more searchable in the Photos app.
The process of achieving this on an iPhone is much more complicated, but not impossible.Here, we'll guide you through renaming precious photo and video files through the built-in Files app or third-party solutions like Metapho.
Can you rename photos and videos on iPhone?
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to rename photos and videos directly from the iPhone's Photos app. iPhone assigns each picture and video a name consisting of the keyword "IMG" and a unique four-digit number (for example, IMG_xxxx).In some cases, file names consist of a random set of characters, including numbers and letters.
However, you can rename saved photos and videos using the Files app or a third-party app like Metapho.Below we will introduce the specific operation method.
Rename photos by saving them to Files app
Here's how to rename iPhone photos and videos using the Files app:
1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
2. Select the photo or video you want to rename.
3. Click the share icon in the lower left corner.
4. Scroll down and tap the Save to file option.
5. A new window will appear.At the bottom of the screen you'll see the image's current name.Change it to any name you want.
6. After renaming the image, tap "Save" in the upper right corner to confirm your choice.
After you save the renamed image to the Files app, find it in the app and tap the image name at the top of the screen.Then, tap Save to Photos.The picture will be saved to the Photos app with a new name.
Rename photos and videos using third-party apps
In some cases, the above method doesn't work as well as you would like, and the Files app may still save the renamed image to your device under its original name.This may be due to a software glitch or using an older version of iOS.
Therefore, the next best option is to use a third-party application that allows you to rename photos easily. Metapho is the best iPhone app for editing photo metadata, and it also lets you rename photos effortlessly.
1. Download the Metapho app from the App Store.Once the download is complete, launch the app and follow the prompts to grant it permission to access your photos.
2. All photos and albums in the Photos app will appear in the Metapho app.Find and click the image you want to rename.
3. Click the image name at the top of the screen, and then click the "Save as..." option that appears.
4. Rename the image in the pop-up window and click "Finish".
The Metapho app automatically saves the renamed image to the Photos app.Yes, it doesn't get any simpler than that.
Download: Metapho (Free, subscription available)
Rename photos on iPhone
If you are tired of the photos and videos stored on your iPhone being given generic names like "IMG_xxxx", then you have other options.Although the built-in Photos app does not allow you to rename pictures directly, you can use other methods to solve this problem.
You can either use the Files app or use third-party apps like Metapho to rename image and video files.With these workarounds, you can ensure that your photo albums are personalized and easily searchable.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!