Telegram does not provide a direct switch function. You can switch in the application settings of all platforms.So, here is a step-by-step guide on how to deactivate or delete your Telegram account.
How to export data before leaving Telegram
Telegram does not allow you to temporarily close your Telegram account.Once deleted, you can't undo the action or log in again to restore your account or read old text messages.
Thankfully, Telegram offers an export option on its desktop client for future reference when saving conversations.
To use it, install the Telegram app on your computer and log in.Then follow these steps:
1. Click on the three bars in the upper right corner to display the navigation menu and select "Settings".
2. Now, click on "Advanced" and scroll all the way down until you find the "Export Telegram Data" option.Click the corresponding checkbox to select the type of data you want to export.You can also adjust the file size limit for exported data and select the download format; this can be JSON or HTML.
3. Click Export.Depending on the size of the data, Telegram will complete the extraction within a few minutes.Click Show My Data to view the file.
How to delete Telegram account on iOS app
The option to permanently delete your Telegram account is only available in the iOS app and web version.
Permanently delete Telegram account via iOS app on iPhone:
1. On the app, tap the settings icon in the lower right corner.
2. Next, go to "Privacy and Security".
3. Scroll through the menu until you reach the "Automatically delete my account" section.
4. Here, select the "If leaving" entry.
5. Click Delete account now.
6. Scroll down in the menu below and click Delete my account.
7. Finally, click Continue.Then continue.
8. Enter your phone number in the field provided and click Continue.
9. Finally, click on "Delete My Account" to permanently delete your Telegram account.
Once completed, this action will delete your Telegram account on all linked devices.
How to delete Telegram account across platforms
Whether using the Android, desktop or iOS app, using the Telegram website will delete your account regardless of which platform you use to access Telegram.
To deactivate your Telegram account via this option:
1. Go to My Telegram website.
2. Enter your Telegram phone number using the international number format and click Next.
3. The confirmation code will be sent to you via Telegram instead of SMS.Please make sure you have access to your Telegram account to get the code.
4. Enter the code in the Confirm Code box and click Sign In.
5. On the subsequent screen, click the "Delete Account" link.Write your reason for leaving in the available text box.Click the "Delete My Account" button when you're ready.
6. Select the red "Yes, delete my account" option in the prompt, and you're good to go. Telegram will permanently delete your account and data.
Can you temporarily deactivate your Telegram account?
You cannot temporarily deactivate your Telegram account.Your only option is to make your Telegram profile inactive.If it helps, you can uninstall the Telegram app on your computer and phone.
However, keep in mind that not using Telegram for an extended period of time will eventually lead to permanent automatic deletion of your account.To avoid this, try to log into the application regularly before the automatic deletion period ends (default is 6 months).
What happens after you delete your Telegram account?
Before permanently deleting your Telegram profile, it's best to understand the consequences of doing so.
After deleting your account, Telegram will delete all your chat history and data.Your account will be permanently terminated and your information and contacts will be deleted and cannot be retrieved.
As for the channels and groups you created, they will continue to function normally even if you delete Telegram, and existing administrators will retain their permissions.If you are the only administrator, Telegram will randomly assign an active member as the new administrator.
Additionally, Telegram won’t let you set up a new account with the same phone number for at least a few days.Additionally, deleting an account that has been banned for spam-related activity will not lift the ban.
Is it time to delete Telegram?
Telegram is a powerful messaging platform available on multiple platforms.However, if you decide to quit Telegram, these methods can help you delete your Telegram account and save your chat data locally on your computer.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!