macOS provides a native "New Folder" right-click menu option that automatically bundles all selected files into a new folder.It's a handy two-in-one option that creates folders and moves selected files into them.Too bad Windows 11 doesn't have a similar right-click menu option.
However, you can add this functionality to Windows 2's context menu with Files 11 Folder and TeraCopy.Both packages add a right-click menu option to put selected files into a new folder.That's how to put selected files into a new folder in Windows 11.
How to put selected files into a new folder using Files 2 Folder
Files 2 Folder is just a shell extension that adds a new option to Windows 11's classic right-click menu.Selecting Files 2 Folder in the right-click menu brings up a window with four options for moving the selected files to a new directory.
Use Files 2 Folder to place selected files into a new folder as follows:
1. Open in a browser Files 2 Folder web page and download.
2. Double-click the Files2Folder.exe file.
3. Select "Yes" to register the shell extension.
4. Now bring up a directory containing some files and use it to create a new folder.
5. Select the files to include in the new folder.
6. Then right-click on the selected file, select Show more options and File2 folder in the classic context menu.
7. Enter a folder name in the text for the option "Move all selected items to named subfolder".
8. Click OK to create a new folder and move the selected files into it.The new folder will be located in the directory where you selected the file.
You can also choose one of three alternatives for creating folders in the Files 2 Folders window.The Move each file to a separate subfolder based on filename option does what it says on the label.Or select "Move all selected files to date folder" to create a date folder.
If you want to organize the selected files by format, you can choose to move each file to a subfolder based on file extension.
How to put selected files into a new folder using TeraCopy
TeraCopy is a free software for Windows 11, 10, 8 and 7 that helps users set up and automate moving and copying files.Once TeraCopy is integrated with Explorer's right-click menu, it will add a "New folder with selection" option, which you can click to quickly put selected files into a new folder.
Here's how to use TeraCopy to put selected files into a new folder:
1. Open TeraCopy download pageand download.
2. Select teracopy.exe to start the installation wizard.
3. Complete the installer, click Finish and select Start TeraCopy at the end.
4. Next, click the Settings gear icon in TeraCopy.
5. Make sure the "Add to Explorer" context menu option is selected.
6. Click OK to exit Preferences and close the TeraCopy window.
Now that TeraCopy is ready, let's start using it.
1. Hold down CTRL and click the file you want to put in the folder.
2. Right-click to select the "Show More Options" and "New Folder" options.
3. Then enter a title for the new folder and press Enter.
4. A new folder will be created as a subfolder in the directory containing the original file selection.Opens the new folder to view and access the files you choose to move into it.
TeraCopy also provides another way to move more files into a new folder.To do this, choose Menu > Add Files in the TeraCopy window.Select the file to move and click Open.Then click Move > Browse to select a directory and press the Select Folder button.
Adds a handy new folder creation option to Windows 11's context menu
The folder creation option in macOS is our lifesaver, it's a shame Windows doesn't have this option by default.We can only thank TeraCopy and Files 2 Folders for allowing us to use the same functionality on Windows 11, and hope that Windows 12 will add it.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!