The File History feature lets you create backups of important files and folders on an external storage device.Generally, the feature works well, but sometimes technical glitches or database corruption can cause disruptions.
The most effective way to resolve this situation is to reset the file history.So let's take a look at some quick ways to reset file history on Windows 11.
How to Reset File History Using File Explorer
Windows File Explorer is commonly used to access files and folders stored on your computer.But it can also be used to reset file history if you get the hang of it the right way.Here are the reset steps:
1. Press Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
2. Click the "View" option at the top, hover the cursor over "Show" and select the "Hidden Items" option.
3. Paste this location in the address bar of File Explorer and press Enter: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
4. Press the Ctrl + A keys to select all the contents inside the File History folder, then press the Shift + Del hotkey to delete them permanently.
How to Reset File History Using Command Prompt
Command Prompt is an important Windows utility that can be used to repair damaged files, perform administrative tasks, clear file history, and more.Here's how to use this tool to reset file history on Windows 11:
1. Press the Win key to open the "Start" menu, enter "Command Prompt" in the search bar, and then select the "Run as administrator" option from the right pane.
2. Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
if exist "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory" RD /S /Q "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory"
Reset File History on Windows to Default
That's all for how to reset file history on Windows 11.While each method is useful, we recommend the first method for users new to the operating system as it does not involve command-line utilities such as Command Prompt and may be easier for beginners.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!