Google Chrome, like other browsers, saves your browsing history as you browse the web.Every page you visit is saved in Chrome's History tab.From there, you (and other users on the same account) can view the pages you've visited in your browser.
Therefore, some users may prefer to turn off Chrome's browsing history.While Google's flagship browser does have an option to clear your browsing history, it doesn't include a specific built-in setting that you can select to prevent pages you've visited from being saved.However, you can still disable Chrome's browsing history using the methods below.
How to Stop Chrome from Saving Your Browsing History with Incognito Mode
Incognito mode is a special private browsing mode of Google Chrome.Chrome stops saving your browsing history when you activate incognito mode.You can activate Chrome's incognito mode by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + N hotkey.The Incognito Browsing window shown below will then open.
Enabling incognito is an easy way to disable browsing history, but Chrome doesn't include a built-in option to launch the browser in that mode.Google Chrome will also stop saving cookies and website data if this mode is enabled.If you want to turn off your browsing history and browse in regular mode, you'll need a few other things.
How to block by editing the registryGoogle ChromeSave browsing history
You can disable browsing history in Google Chrome by adjusting the registry.This method involves adding a new Chrome key and saving a browser history disabled DWORD to the registry.You can use in the following stepsWindows 11Registry Editor to do this.
1. First, press Win + S.
In Windows 11 Type Registry Editor in the search box, and then click Run as administrator to open Registry Editor.
3. Then navigate to Computer\HKEY\u LOCAL\u MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies in the sidebar of the Registry Editor.The registry path can also be entered in the address bar.
4. Right-click the Policies key and select New>key.
5. Enter Google as the title of the new key.
6. Right-click the Google key you just added to the registry and select its New and key options.
7. Then type Chrome in the text box of the new key.
8. Right-click on the Chrome registry key and select New option.Select DWORD (32-bit) value on the submenu.
9. Enter SavingBrowserHistoryDisabled as the title of the new DWORD.
10. Double-click SavingBrowserHistoryDisabled DWORD, and an Edit DWORD window pops up.
11. Enter 1 in the Value data box and click OK.
12. Then select Restart Windows from the Start menu.
How to useGroup Policy EditorStop Google Chrome from saving browsing history
Group Policy Editoris an administrative tool that contains some of Chrome's policy settings.If you're using Windows 11 Pro or Enterprise, you can enable a policy setting to prevent browsing history from being saved in Chrome.Methods as below:
1. Press Win + X and click Run on the menu that opens.
2. To open the Group Policy Editor, enter gpedit.msc in Run and click OK.
3. Double-click Computer Configuration and Administrative Templates in the Group Policy Editor.
4. Select Google > on the left side of the Group Policy EditorGoogle Chrome.
5. Double-click the Prevent saving browser history setting to open its window.
6. Then select "Enabled" in the Prevent saving browsing history window, and click the "Apply" button.
7. Select OK to exit.
8. Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
Note that you need to add the Google Chrome template in the Group Policy Editor before you can configure its browsing history.To do this, you need to download the desired template by clicking the ZIP file of Google Chrome Templates on the Set Chrome Browser Policy page.This webpage also provides a complete guide on how to add the desired template to the Group Policy Editor.
How to Stop Google Chrome from Saving Your Browsing History with an Extension
No History is an extension for Google Chrome that, when enabled, prevents the browser from saving your page history.The extension also includes an option to clear Chrome's history.You can disable browsing history with the extension as follows.
1. Open"No History"page.
2. Click the Add to Chrome and Add extension buttons.
3. Then you will see on Chrome's toolbarNo History.Click it to open the extension.
4. Select On to disable Chrome's page history.
Now, you no longer need to manually delete your browsing history in the Chrome browser.Because the above method can effectively prevent Google Chrome from saving your browsing history, which will help you browse the web more privately.
Copyright Notice:The article only represents the author's point of view, the copyright belongs to the original author, welcome to share this article, please keep the source for reprinting!